Laser-cut art book by Olafur Eliasson

Artist Olafur Eliasson created this piece, a laser-cut negative space rendering of his house in 85:1 scale:

Your House

It’s made of 454 slices, bound together in a book. Apparently it was quite a difficult process to put together, due to the complex constraints that were put upon the paper. From what I understand it was commissioned by the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.

The folks that produced the book are a laser-cutting house that specializes in paper-cutting, called Visionen in Papier (Visions in Paper). I’m actually even more interested in what they are capable of doing, and the kinds of services they provide- check out some of their other examples of their work.

As this piece combines books, paper cutting, laser cutters, architecture, and paper making, it hits a broad area of things I really enjoy- so I pass it along to you, readers, in the hope you find it interesting as well.

Olafur Eliasson 1
Olafur Eliasson 4
Olafur Eliasson 3
Olafur Eliasson 2
Olafur Eliasson 5
Olafur Eliasson 6
Olafur Eliasson 7
Olafur Eliasson 8

(All images copyright www.kremo.de)

Link from Бунт Архитекторов!, my favorite Russian website!

48 thoughts on “Laser-cut art book by Olafur Eliasson

1. Ray Schamp

Thanks so much for posting this Eric! Olafur Eliasson is probably my favorite artist, and I had heard he was making this, but this is the first I’ve seen of it. Fabulous!

2. brdparker

wow… like always, I am amazed at the versitility of a piece (or multiple) of paper… wow…

3. Pingback: Laser-cut art book by Olafur Eliasson « dérive

4. raylene

yes! oh dear…i saw this at an art book/print fair in nyc- it was ‘reasonably’ priced for what it was (i think they were selling their copy for $1500 – already they are going for way more) gorgeously detailed. one piece of art i wish i could have purchased.
    i’m happy to see it again!

5. Pingback: ::urbanophil.net:: » Schneiden, Knicken, Falten - Architektur aus Papier

6. greg.org

I’ve seen it, too, at MoMA, when it was published last fall. It was published by the MoMA Library Council, whose supporters got first dibs on the edition [though I thought it was more like $3,000]. Anyway, it’s spectacular, and a marvel to flip through [not that I flipped, more like "carefully paged," of course]

7. Pingback: fade theory » your house

8. Pingback: I New Idea Homepage » Your book house

9. Pingback: hauntedcastle.org » Blog Archive » http://www.origamitessellations.com/2007/05/08/laser-cut-art-book-by-olafur-eliasson/

10. Pingback: Ultimate Stupidity » Blog Archive » Origami Tessellations

11. Pingback: Quick Links 08/14/2007 at juniorbonner.net

12. Pingback: Olafur Eliasson’s Your House « Hankblog

13. Pingback: motorballer.org || beyond ¦¦ Blog Archive » Cleanup on aisle 12

14. Joni Solis

Delightful and creative! It so amazes me that humans are capable of. Thanks for posting this artwork. I would love to see a video of this book showing someone flipping the pages – art in motion.

15. Pingback: links for 2008-04-15

16. Trey

I just saw a copy of this at the Design Museum in London – very cool. If you are interested in laser-cutting check out http://www.ponoko.com – it lets you upload design files and get laser cut material mailed back to your doorstep :-)

17. Pingback: origami art

18. Pingback: Paper Crafts » Blog Archive » The Intersection of Origami & Escher

19. Dexter

Great concept, any body using etching machine here, I would like to have more information about making this concept in metal using Dual Jet Etching Technlogy about me: am a independent designer in metal works based in Kowloon, HK using chemical etching machine by Idea Factory Equipments Pvt. Ltd.

20. Pingback: Pop-up books: a superficial, 2D look : Marzipan Bingo

21. Margorie Iwata

Do you accept guest posts? I like the technique how you wrote Origami Tessellations » Blog Archive » Laser-cut art book by Olafur Eliasson, I’m in this topic for ages and I would love to write couple articles right here in case you agree with me.

22. Guy Tener

Hello,this is Guy Tener,just identified your Blog on google and i must say this blog is great.may I quote some of the article found in your website to my local mates?i’m not sure and what you think?anyway,Thank you!

23. Metal Wall Art

Metal wall art is a modern type of artwork that works well with both conventional and contemporary approaches in interior design; in fact it has somewhat created a new generation fashion statement in household beautification. They allure the eyes and make an impression wherever they are placedlike a painting that can enchant an individuals glare and catch the interest, curiosity and awe of anyone who takes a single glimpse. And because they come in a variety of kinds, these pieces of art can be placed virtually in any room.

24. Karin

Very cool art form. Such an interesting application for laser cutting!! If you are an artist or graphic designer and find yourself in need of laser cutting services, LaserLogik is a good source for laser cutting paper, vellum, light plastics and a variety of other materials.

25. Pingback: Laser-cut art book « niviudasnihuerfanas

26. Pingback: Heimili, hrollvekjur og innblástur – Homes, horror and inspiration | ARKIR – bókverkablogg

27. Pingback: CON-TEXT